Has anyone heard about MOOCs? No!! Okay, then you must have heard about Online Courses? That’s great! It’s the same thing what I meant. MOOCs alias Massive Open Online Courses is a new paradigm of education anywhere, anytime for anyone. It is a free platform for online courses that supports learning in variety of fields and subjects. It can be accessed through any digital screened device across the globe.
So now you would ask why I should prefer MOOCs over physical learning classes.
Well to this question, my answer would vary from person to person. Basically, there are two types of learners. First, who learns more in physical classes where mentor is present to teach them and solve their queries. Second, who love studying personally and through different resources rather than sticking to personal tutor or mentor. Thus anyone who feels studying from sparse sources, can join the MOOCs.
E-learning for companies grew amazingly 900% between 2001–2017. It has lead to an increase in income for 42% of US organisations have in general 218% higher revenue per employee and 24% higher profit margins. India’s e-learning market is the second largest after the US. Currently getting 96 billion and will grow at 44% CAGR(Compound Annual Growth Rate) by 2021.
There may be situations created when you cannot attend classes due to any reason, there online platforms with courses shows a path to continue your studies and career to get suitable job. Presently, more than 50% of population is shifting towards online platform studying. There are many Pros and Cons of MOOCs.
Advantages of MOOC:
· Easy access to global resources-As being the online source it’s very easy to access and learn from any place at any time
· Sharing ideas and knowledge-everyone puts their content online and anyone can read it, so it is very useful for others
· Go at your own pace-there’s no race so take your own time
· No exam fever-scheduled tests are kept so no previous struggles
· Learn from world class universities and renowned instructors-tutors are far away from anywhere and can get quality instructions
· Gives an idea where I stand in online competition
· Get statement of accomplishment or verifies certificate-depends upon the course if it provides or not
· Improves cross culture relationships
· Enhances active learning
· Increases hearing capacity and patience level to understand by own
Disadvantages of MOOCs:
· Real time question answering is no possible-there is no one to guide us live while learning, so no questions on not paying attention
· No opportunity for effective assessment methods like surprise tests and Q/A in classrooms
· Gradually kill the care, empathy and respect
· No evaluation methods or peer pressure
Although MOOCs alone might not get you the job but it can certainly increase your chances of getting your job with your interest. MOOCs allow you to build your professional profile and skills. You can surf popular websites: Coding Ninjas, edX, Coursera, Khan academy etc.
Some FAQs are mentioned below which can help you all to clear the base about MOOCs:
1. How can I join a course?
Select the course you are interested in and register on the course page.
2. When can I join the course?
You can join a MOOC at any point during the course, from the first to the last day.
3. What kind of device can I use to join a course?
You can log in for your sessions on Desktops, laptops, Mobile cells or tablets.
4. What qualification are required to join a particular course?
You should double check the pre-requisites and eligibility criteria before joining a particular course. So check individually for the courses you are interested in.
5. Will I get certificate of completion?
It depends on the course if it provides or not.
“A single decision can change your life! So act wisely and cautiously!”
Good luck for future, guys! 😉
By: Kesha K. Kaneria